Yondra (good morning!)
Right now i am literally steps from the beach in a place called ," the uprising." This weekend has been wonderful. We took a 5 1/2 hour bus ride from Tavua to Suva and once we dropped our bags off at the place we were staying at (for free) we hopped on a taxi and headed to McDonalds. MCDONALDS. IT HAD AIR CONDITIONING AND CHICKEN NUGGETS! SO, needless to say, I ordered 12 chicken nuggets and some fries. YUM. This place is much different than Africa that is for sure. You can get pizza hut and mcdonalds in the city! Granted it is a 6 hour bus ride, but it was well worth it.
We then walked to the Holiday Inn for the YSA dance. Pretty much every ysa on the main island was there. It was pretty fun actually and there was karaoke and dancing. I met Vito's sister, Suka and Apenisa's brother. I also made a new friend, Charlie and danced and talked to him for a while. He was really nice and I discovered that he plays rugby for the province. That was cool. We stayed there for quite a while and I was quite sweaty . Rusila (our cook for dinner and friend in the ward) kept telling me I was sweaty. good thing she told me because I wasn't sure...not. She is sassy and I love her. We then went and saw, Angels and Demons which I was actually impressed with and thoroughly frightened for some reason. It was a late night for us. we were up until 2:30. We then headed back home and hit up the 24 hour bakery and got some cream rolls. YUM. HAve I mentioned that they have bread here?!?! BEST thing in the world. Then we headed back up the hill to the house we were staying at for the night. Jacob, one of the volunteers here, served a mission in FIJI and we were staying at the same flat he lived in while he was on his mission. So that was pretty fun and we just laid a bunch of random mats on the floor and all 12 of us sprawled out. I literally can sleep anywhere and have a magnificent ninght sleep, which i did.
Saturday we woke up around 9am and headed to the Suva temple. Beautiful. The poor fijian man who was doing baptisms could NOT figure out my name even though I kept telling him each time. Sister Fawnkeest is what came out of his mouth. We got to shower in WARM AMAZING WATER at the temple which was my first warm shower in weeks and probably my only warm shower until i come back to suva in a month or so..
We then headed straight to the market and I got a bag made out of bamboon or something great. And I got adorable wallet/ coin purse. I then proceeded to spend $20 at the local pizza hut. TOTALLY WORTH IT. Then we all headed to the coral coast, aka, the uprising. we stayed in a cute little hut which I loved. I also swam in the ocean for an hour and body surfed with nat and some others. I then got an hour full body massage which was enjoyable for the most part, except for when she was cutting open my stomach or something.
In other news, life is great here. I had a great, busy week and taught some health lessons. I also tutored some high school aged kids and loved that so much. I love working with the youth and enjoy it probably more than anything else. I think they had a blast too. This coming week is NO TOBACCO DAY in the town so our team is really involved with that. I may or may not have to do some embarrassing skit. we'll see.
OH ALSO! BIG NEWS! The two boys that served their mission here planned a very specific trip up to some island to do construction and teach business. They are only allowed to take four of us volunteers and it is a pretty sweet project and also apparentely in the most beautiful part of FIJI. It's a big deal and all of us wanted to go. Well, they could only pick four of the people from our team and I just found out that I get to go! I literally will be living in some bush I think and we have to fly there and its going to be a little intense and crazy. I will keep you all posted on what goes down over there. I will be gone for a week or so in the jungle. So keep me in your thoughts and prayers pleasee!
Life is wonderful and I love working with the people here and learning about their goals and desires that sometimes they didn't even realize they had.
Let me know how life is for you too!
Moce,
Victoria
4 comments:
Everything sounds amazing! Good luck in the jungle. At least you know how to squat n' pee. Just don't sit on any poisonous plants and pull a jackie. Love you!!
ah! my butt is on fire! haha I love Jackie. Well Tor, we miss you. It sounds amazing though. YSA? are they YSAL's?
I want pictures!!!! I'm off to Uganda in 4 days! Thanks to you!!!!
your life sounds fabulous. i miss you. and no, i dont have anything funny or witty to say like leslie or lauren. i just miss you.
Post a Comment