Thursday, May 6, 2010

Tori's 5th letter

Kamusta mo!

Hello family and friends. I can't believe its May now!

This week has been eventful. Monday we were in Tacloban and had a great time. Have I mentioned that my district always makes me pray b/c seriously when I pray for others we literally see the answers almost immediately. This also happened on the way home from Tacloban...I had prayed for safety, but then I just felt likeI needed to pray again specifically that we wouldn't hit anything as we were zooming around the mountain and it was raining. RIGHT when I opened my eyes and finished my prayer a huge Caribou jumped out and we barely missed hitting it! Crazy... anyways , there are a lot of examples of the Lord answering prayers...but he seems to be allowing me to develop patience concerning my own personal prayers.....

Anyway, Monday night we stayed in Naval..actually we literally were waiting on the porch for two hours waiting for the sisters to come home...turns out they were inside the whole time, sleeping. They went to bed early cause they had had a rough day...awesome. Well, Tuesday we had interviews with President Malit and health check ups with Sister Malit! Love those people. I had a great time talking to president. He asked how my language was and if i wanted him to do the interview in bisayan (bahaha we both started laughing at that...). Seriously it was a great interview and we just laughed the whole time and I just really appreciate and love him so much.

So, remember how I told you all that I sang at Zone conference with my companion? Well, he brought that up again and thanked me for that and said, "I would like to request that you sing at every Zone conference..." ummmmmmmm, well, clearly I can't say no... so, I guess I'll be doing that. I thinkFilipinos are just impressed that I can sing soprano (sort of) cause they sing everything pretty low. WE also talked about the gift of tongues, how my district makes me pray for everything, and we also discussed positive attitude, and more. I told him i reallllllllly didn't want Sister Lemmon to be transferred, and he said," Oh! looks like you should pray for it!" bahah. HE said he couldn't promise it cause it was all up to the Lord. I know, I know, but really, it would be sweet if she stayed with me until she went home.

Health wise my blood pressure was good and I've lost 6 pounds... AND that was after spending a lot of time and money eating in Tacloban the day before--awesome!

Well, on our way home in the mountains the traffic was stopped and we realized it was because a massive tree had fallen and was blocking the entire road. So us four missionaries got out to see what could be done. Nothing, clearly, cause the tree was humongous. So hundredds of people were gathering and then all these motorcycles wanted to go over the tree so people began helping the motorcycles over. Elder Webb (my district leader) started helping too, and I wanted to , butFilipinos won't let Americans, let alone American girls, do anything here....BUT, I was successful ONE time and helped lift a motorcycleover..everyone was pointing and laughing..I'm so cool. Anyway! Finally , after much waiting, a man with a chainsaw came and was able to cut the tree lots and we were on our way.

This week we taught some great lessons! We have some new investigators that I am so excited about! The spirit was so strong when we were teaching and they were so receptive. Lessons like that keep you going for sure! But then when they punt you the next day or don't show up to church is when it gets a bit difficult....

But! Jessa is married to a very less active, but nice guy and they have a little girl. She really loved the lesson and related well to the JS story about prayer. We even got her husband to pray at the end of the lesson, so that was awesome.

Then one day we decided to go up the hill in town and find people to teach. We taught another awesome lesson to a lady there name Jay Ann. Turns out her friend is a member, but doesn't go to church b/c she is scared of her born again sister in law. Anyway, those lessons were really exciting and awesome.

We taught a lesson in English , which turns out, was really difficult. Teaching in English now is hard. The lady was super nice, but didn't want to accept any commitments. Sister Lemmon said that was the first time she has gotten completely shut down. bahaha, but we keep trucking along.

WE tried to visit some recent converts on Saturday, but the tide had come in so much there was no way to get to their house! it was all flooded. WE yelled for them and they opened the door and he said, " dagat!" (which means ocean!) yeahh... we apologized and said see you at church, right?! he said yes! ...but then, they didn't come.... weird.

Our awesome investigator Raymond turned 17 and we gave him a card and peanut butter! He couldn't believe it!

Unfortunately, he didn't come to church............:(

We taught a lot of great lessons this week, but we also got punted hard core all day long on Sunday. We walked all around our area and it was unbelievably hot. People were just sleeping or laying around b/c there is nothing you can do when its sooo hot! We were drenched in sweat , but seriously determined to get to our appointments, which, of course, were nowhere near each other, and literally up the mountain....AND, no one was home, anywhere. It was a strange Sunday. We got a work out though. We decided if we got punted for our last lesson we would go to nanay Helen's house--she is kinda like our mom here--and we got punted, so we headed to her house. WE shared a quick lesson and talked to her and she gave us chocolate cake! REAL, legit, chocolate cake! It was amazing!!!!!!!! She then gave us two large pieces to take home to eat the next day--yeahhhhhhhh, right, we went home and ate both of them immediately. :) Sometimes you just have to do that when days are rough.

OH yes, Saturday night (we got punted) so we went to our Branch President's house and we were able to really connect with him and his wife and their little boy. It was nice b/c Sister Lemmon has said its been a bit difficult to develop a great relationship, but we are making a breakthrough and I really think he likes us. I just laugh at everything that he says and everything his little boy does. I think they are awesome.

Well, my week has been great. I'm reading in 3 Nephi now and really enjoying all that I am learning. OH! Sister Lemmon and I also decided that we want to focus helping the members here understand how important it is to get their kids on missions so we taught lessons this week to members about missionary work. It was so fun and we shared our mission call experiences. One family, just had their dad return home from Manila after working there since January. IT was so great to be there and have their family be complete. You could tell how happy everyone was. He said that he is done going to Manila from now on.

Also, in primary we are teaching the kids a song to sing in sacrament forMothers day! How cute. love them.

Well, I guess President Malit talked to our DL and said that he doesn't really want us all traveling to Naval every pday. Naval is where we get bread, groceries, and email..... So, I guess that means that we can come to Naval for support monthly and maybe in a few weeks for some supplies....but , if you don't hear from me next Monday, don' t worry I'm sure I'll still be alive, but just couldn't email.

BUT, I get to talk to you all on Mother’s day! How exciting!

Well, the church is true and life is wonderful here! Thanks for all of your prayers. I need every single one.

Much love,

Sister B

namingaw ko sa imo ( i miss you!)

nahigugma ako sa imo ( i love you)


No comments: