Thursday, March 18, 2010

Letter #5 March 3, 2010

Okay, the MTC is having major struggles with emails. I have tried to email numerous times today and my comp can't even get on. To say we are frustrated is an understatement. ANywayssss, kamusta mo!?
>
> How is life fam and friends??
>
> PDAY is zooming by , per usual and life is wonderful here.
>
> A quick rundown of my life here:
>
> Last week we had our 'task' in the trc. It was a lot of fun and we did well. Our lesson turned out wonderfully. I learned about following the spirit as I teach to the needs of the 'investigator'.
>
> Friday we planned, i think. REally, its difficult to remember days here. BUT saturday was epic.
>
> It was our first "Field DAY!" As in, we did everything we would do if we were actually in the field already. So we did personal study/comp study in our rooms and language and planned out who we were teaching and what to teach,etc.
>
> We taught 8 lessons and did contacting and proselyting. It was hard. A good glimpse of whats to come that is for sure.
>
> I'll be honest..our first couple lessons went really well. We were working well as a companionship and learning great things. The lesson was on the Plan of Salvation/ Word of Wisdom. I loved teaching those lessons. Then we had some lessons on the Restoration which we hadn't taught as a companionship for 3 weeks and it was a little rough. I could not figure out what was going on but I did not do a great job. It just didn't run as smoothly. I was acutally really frustrated with my self. Then we had some of the elders in our district teach us (chastain and tenney) and they did an incredible job. Seriously, I couldn't even believe how strong the spirit was and how guided they were as they taught us. I loved it. But afterwards we were supposed to teach them the same lesson and i was nervous and frustrated cause I just had not been doing well. So i asked my comps if we could pray and I said it...We then had an incredible lesson. Seriously. Talk about being humbled and turning to the Lord completely. I don't know what was up with me, but when I prayed for us we had the spirit again...i had the spirit again, and it was awesome. NINDOT KAAYO NA!
>
> Well, Sunday was another great sabbath day. I took a nap. WHO KNEW WE COULD TAKE A NAP HERE? I didn't know.. haha. but we are allowed to on sundays if you have time and don't walk go on the temple walk. Anyways, didn't sleep too long, don't worry cause we had lots to do!
>
> We had Brother Allen c ome and speak to us Sunday night. I loved his talk! He let the elders take off their suit coats and the room lit up with all their white shirts. He told us about the olympics a bit--cannada getting the gold in hockey--related it to the gospel of course and how each of us can earn the gold. cheesy, but it actually wasn't somehow when he was speaking. He talked a lot about dignity, companionship, following the spirit, and inviting the spirit --a member of the godhead--to be in this work with us. He also had us alllll memorize 2 nephi 33 :15-- I MUST OBEY. amen.
>
> It was a great discussion where he had us stand and sit all throughout it. Anyways, I liked him a lot.
>
> Monday was one of the funniest days at the MTC. I DO NOT know what the elders ate, but they were allll on something. Seriously, my entire district was dying of laughter all day long. My teacher too. We had to leave the classroom and go to the CR more than once. It was ridiculous. We learned things too of course, but we are all having a hilarious time here. Loved it.
>
> Also, I am truly finding out why missionaries are so weird when they come home. We all make jokes based on gospel principles ALL the time and we truly and honestly find them hilarous. So dumb, but awesome too. In the middle of the lesson on the restoration I said "So, Adam was a prophet..." (Elder tenney, pretending investigator) " First, one that we know..." Yes, primary song reference... we all busted out laughing..
>
> LAST night we had Bishop Edgley speak to us. HE was great. I referred to his mission as some of the most spiritual experiences of his life.. and "the greatest days" He then told us to make them our greatest days...in everything. He also said "stay on the mark and don't walk away." He said we were entitled to be discouraged...but only for 2 minutes! then we have to pull our self together and push ahead. He taught a powerful lesson on not discounting who we taught. He talked about how he didn't feel like his mission was very successful, but as years went by he was contacted by some people he had taught lessons to. And those lessons led to years later baptisms, and happiness, and generations of members of the church. Lessons are not just lessons...the lead to great success and can be very powerful.
>
> In class we did an activity whwere we found our favorite scripture and explained it to our comp. Then we had to find a scripture that we felt applied to the person we were teaching/comp. The thought process was different and the spirit was different and we did so. I learned a lot about what my comp thought were my needs....she was right on the ball. and vise versa. It was really powerful. My teacher said he had a set of scriptures just for the investigators he taught out in the field. He has them all marked up from finding the scriptures that applied to those people's needs. i think I am going to do that. it was a really wonderful experience. I loved it.
>
> This week is our first lesson completely in cebuano. I'll be honest. I don't feel like I am where I need to be with the language. I also don't feel like there is the sufficient amount of time for me to study the language the way i learn things. Its tough. I am trying hard daily but still not to where I need to be. More than any other week, we need your prayers. We have to teach the entire restoration lesson in Cebuano and do a task in cebuano. thats an hour of speaking this language. wow. grabbii shaw.
>
> Anyways, my companions are wonderful. My district is incredible. The other Cantos (our buds) left on monday. One of them is Elder Fogt--his older brother Chris Fogt is in the olympics--bobsled i think. cool, eh? He's missing his brother in the olympics! Well, the church is true, indeed.
>
> The spirit has been really strong this week and definitely guiding my life here. I appreciate your prayers and support so much. Thank you with all of my heart. Last night after the fireside our district reviewed what we learned . WE also all went around the room and talked about why we were here, how we are doing, etc. It's incredible how much I love these people. On sunday i prepared a talk on charity and i read how when we strive to develop that christlike attribute the lord will bless us with the ability to love more. To literally increase the ability to love. I know that is true. I felt that in africa and fiji, and i feel it now every day. I feel protected and loved here from the people i am surrounded by and from all of you. The gospel of Jesus Christ is on the earth. The lord wants to know us and wants to help us. I know he is there. A good chapter to read this week for all of you is 2 Nephi 9. Also Mosiah 4.
>
> Josh--yes, send me the rest of the talk by elder oaks
> Mags--thank you for writing me lots! i'll try and get a letter to you
> Katie--love you and your kids. livi so smart!
> Jarrett-what is your address??!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! i have a letter for you. do you have a letter for me? if not you should write one ! :)
> urs--got your letter and the nylons--work great. thanks!
> dad--thank you for the letter, bishop talk, optimism stuff, and quotes and memory card! WHAT a great idea you have! I will for sure record my testimony and a message and send it home to put on the blog. you all will go nuts at this language slash i still can't speak it....
> kerry--thank you so much for writing me. i wrote you a legit letter....coming soon
> kiera--hows cali!? how's ben? can you send me a picture / pictures of the last weekend at home with everyone from YOUR camera!? my pics didn't turn out great.
>
> i love you all. sorry its so jumbled more than normal today! it was stressful emailing...
>
>
> nasayud ko nga dios naghigugma nato. pagampo ninyo ang dios!
>
> love,
> sister b

No comments: